To Five Talent Hiring Manager:
Meg Chun, local CEO and interpersonal guru, has recommended your organization to me due to high regard for Preston Callicott. I place a lot of trust in her opinion of people and am excited to learn more about you guys throughout the process. The 1001 tech center is like a second home to me as I have worked remotely for the last 6 years.
I think you will find my skillset and experience to be quite well-rounded and a solid match for many of the job requirements you have laid out in the Software Developer position
- I have a proven track record by planning, architecting, developing, testing, deploying, running, monitoring, and optimizing many distributed, microservices based applications in the cloud for the past 6 years. This extends all the way from top to bottom, from the data stack to automated deployments using infrastructure as code. My portfolio has some examples of how I design.
- I am never one to overpromise and underdeliver. Ever.
- I am a polyglot programmer able to be productive in several languages. You have specifically called out React and C#, which are my two strongest languages (this letter and my resume are written in React/TypeScript). I have lots of JS experience (I use TypeScript as I find it makes me more productive), and am also proficient in Python and Node, although I have less production experience there.
- I have experience in all the clouds, and while I have the most experience in Azure due to the way Amazon is viewed in the e-commerce world, I believe the providers are similar enough for there to be much carryover to the others. In addition, in preparation for this opportunity, I have taken AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner training. I have not yet taken the test, but am confident I could do so in a small amount of time.
- I manage developers using Agile methodology (albeit scrum-less due to offshore time zone issues) and am familiar with organizing work into bite-size, time-sensitive sprints for myself and others.
- I spend nearly all of my time consuming and constructing APIs and User Interfaces.
Data Engineering Experience (can perhaps pinch hit as needed):
- My previous life was as a data analyst, and included projects like Business Intelligence visualization and Demand Forecasting (see Altrec on resume).
- Lots of relational and NoSql: MSSQL, MySQL, Document, some BigQuery.
- Some ETL and Machine Learning Experience: Stitch Data, Azure ML, Chatbots, Recommendation Engine design.
- Power BI Power User (from the beginning of its existence). Have also used Google Data Studio.
- I love to learn new things, and spend my free time watching courses on Pluralsight to ensure I stay up to date on best practices and learn new technologies.
If you want more information than I have provided in either my resume or this cover letter, please see my LinkedIn. You may also ask Meg Chun about me, we worked together for years.
I look forward to the challenge. Thank you for your consideration.